Friday, December 02, 2005

because we ask

We put people in the most awkward of positions. And I think we actually enjoy it sometimes. We ask a question that does not need to be asked – in fact we already know the answer. But we ask anyway. Is it because we are feeling insecure or is it self-righteousness? Probably both depending on the circumstance. I did it for the later just the other day. I thought to myself – 'that person was a jerk and I’m going to let them know it'. I didn’t really want to know the answer, I was just being smug. I don’t even desire the situation to change or have turned out differently, so why did I find it necessary to ask? We ask because we know the answer and we want the other person to feel badly that they think or acted that way.
We also ask because we want to challenge 'authority' not to insight change, but simply for the sake of challenging. Again, we are not seeking truth or to increase our knowledge, but seeking to judge.

'Whoever slanders his neighbor in secret, him will I put to silence; whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart, him will I not endure.'
Psalm 101:5

No comments: