Wednesday, November 09, 2005

we never will be

All of the things we want each other to be
We never will be
And that's wonderful, and that's life
And that's you, baby
This is me, baby

-Nelly Furtado 'Try'

Yes...I know I have already used this song in a previous post - I don't care ;).

I love this concept and am trying very much to apply it to all of my relationships. I have already seen many of my relationships improve when I just let someone be who they are - and love them for it. No...people are not always going to react the way you do, they are not always going to think the way you think is 'right'. How incredibly boring life would be if we all thought the same way! (As a side note - the fact that I am writing about this means that yes :), this is something I struggle with.) Would all of the energy we spend on complaining be better spent possibly helping someone, encouraging them, enjoying them? I wonder if we will look back on life and say 'I certainly wish I would have pushed my point of view/judged someone/argued pointlessly with so-and-so' more? I venture a guess that no, we would not. How freeing is the possibility that we could feel comfortable being ourselves when those around us spend more time loving us than judging us?

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Wouldn't that be nice? I wonder why we think everyone should think like us when we really don't want that at all.

Jason said...

This is a valuable lesson. I have been struggling with not trying to change myself. What I am realizing is that I need a total transformation to be what I want to be - and that I cannot do that on my own anymore. I have been a miserable prick my whole life and although, through all my efforts, I have been getting "better" I am now simply an improved miserable prick. I desire complete transformation. The struggle is loving oneself while this transformation is taking place.

Jason

p.s. Thanks for turning me on to Web Logs Andria, I have my own now:

http://iamwilling.blogspot.com/