Sunday, September 25, 2005

prone to wander

Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Here by Thy great help I’ve come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

O that day when freed from sinning,
I shall see Thy lovely face;
Clothed then in blood washed linen
How I’ll sing Thy sovereign grace;
Come, my Lord, no longer tarry,
Take my ransomed soul away;
Send thine angels now to carry
Me to realms of endless day.


How I love that hymn and how it is my daily prayer. I do feel my heart is prone to wander, but how incredible that He comes after each and every one of us! A friend of mine was describing the sheppard who lost but one of his flock. He set out to find him and celebrated so when he was found safe!
Not only does God love mankind, but He loves each one individually; He knows each heart intimately; He wants each of us to desire a relationship with Him and will come after us when we wander.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am so thankful that God is not like me, when it comes to wandering:) it absolutely blows my mind that when i ask for forgiveness that He forgets. yeah we may have brought on some consequences that we have to deal with, but that is our fault, not God's. i know when i see Christ face to face, and my sinfulness is fully revealed to me that I will fall to my knees saying "i am so sorry i wandered so much, now that i can comprehend Your love for me". i don't want to wander, but i do. my wandering grieves me though, because i know how it hurts Him...how can i hurt the One that gave Himself for me!? my mom always used to tell me to never burn bridges, cause you never know when you'll need that bridge. how many time have we wandered, turned our back, closed our ears, and walked across that bridge away from God and burn it...only to run back later wanting to be in His arms. we burn the bridge when we are away, He pulls out His tools and fixes it, and just waits for us to come back (like the prodigal son). seriously, i don't understand that depth of love...but i am thankful for it!